Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year...Break out the illness

As I write this all five of my children are sick. I mean, they're ill and on the mend.

Me, I'm not ill but I need to mend.

There's nothing so concerning and challenging as having sick children. They look miserable and you want them (if you can imagine) back to their old selves where you find yourself screaming at them to "stop" doing whatever they've been doing for the umpteenth time. But now they're listless, burning up because they've caught some kind of virus as you try to get them to sit up and drink fluids.

As a Mom, I'm an average, ok Mom. But as a Mom to sick children I actually push my quality up to being a great Mom. I think it comes from years and years of having migraines as a child. A hard earned way of requiring compassion -- but it's true.

We've already ran out of ibuprofen, kleenex and blankets. I've re-washed and re-washed spoons for offering medicine.

The good news: they're stirring, (the once listless children) and me? Well, I look like I should lay down and have someone offer me some kindof prescription.

Actually if I could write myself a prescription it would look like this:

Sleep with earplugs. Allow only an earthquake to wake you up.
Visit a spa immediately after awakening from beauty nap.
And chocolate: lots and lots of chocolate, while watching some hawt guy in some romance comical movie.

Yep, that would really help me on the mend.

As for the children...having a healthy mom should be priceless.

What's your post prescription you give yourself, after caring for a sick child/husband. Although, a husband can be worse than a child.

5 Comments:

Annie said...

This a great idea.(the blog) I have vowed to do one for myself by the end of January. I have learned amazing things about my "daughters" from their blogs to add to the already amazing things I know about them. I do not have an rx for a tired mom taking care of ill children but the one you recommended for yourself sounds great for any mom. Mom Sears

Sears Family of 6, wait wow 6!!!!! said...

Chocolate can cure anything!!! I think one other thing you could add to your prescription is a full day to yourself after everyone is well!! Including shopping, spa, and eating anything you want without worrying about calories!

Sears Family of 6, wait wow 6!!!!! said...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!

Jason and Nesa said...

love your writing, aunty!

Felila said...

Great job on boosting up the great mom thang! It is so tiring to take care of sick kids, just one let alone more! My prescription---sleep and don't let anyone bother you and wear your pajamas all day and make a sad worn out face and wrap a scarf around your neck and fake like you can't talk so everyone will let you be! hahaha. Tried that one and it worked! Thanks for your writing---it gave comfort to this mom over here!

 
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

Elizabeth Stone
MommyDoodlesDesign.com

Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Header Design, Button Design, Template Modification, Installation and Setup by MommyDoodlesDesign.com