Tuesday, October 13, 2009

unBEElievable



About a month and half ago, we had a really nasty experience with these yellow jackets. Actually it was rather horrifying. Imagine: Alfred Hitchcocks, "Birds" movie without the birds; replace them with yellow jackets.

We were taking a nice walk up a trail when my children and my friend Kristi's children were attacked by yellow jackets. These yellow jackets followed them for a quarter of a mile and still they persisted.

Altogether there were a total of nine (make that ten, Aaron went back to the nest, don't ask me why) attacked by yellow jackets. Those creatures were aggressive.

The paramedics showed up, each child had their own paramedic and to cut to the chase of the story, each child had about over thirty stings. I stopped counting after 30.

Even after I got home and had them strip down to their underwear so I could make sure they were bee free. I sent them to take cool showers. To my surprise, Yzhak is screaming and calling for me to come down because there were more bees. I had to tried to convince him that they were all gone. However, he was right. I got down stairs and there were still yellow jackets crawling out of their clothes.

I have to tell you, there is no love lost between me and those nasty suckers. I'll squash them first and ask questions later.

My children for a while have been very afraid of any flying objects on first contact: flies, bugs and flying dust. Don't even let me go on about the drive home.

We're safe but we're still--well--PARANOID. Can you blame us?!

3 Comments:

Nikki said...

Ian seems to attract the things. He was stung twice this summer. Now he spots the hives everywhere. He even told me I needed to tell one of our neighbors they had a hive on their house, so they could get rid of it. Homespun remedy someone told me about, and it seemed to work (in case your kids get stung again): toothpaste on the sting. It seems to draw out the poison, makes the swelling less, and brings a quicker end to the pain. Hope everyone is doing better today. Need me to pick up some benadryl and drive it over? :)

Anonymous said...

Vagi, that is a horrible thing to happen!!! oka! I'm scared of them even more now after reading your story. :( Hope they are all better.

Love you,
Benj

Kastle said...

Holy crap I can't believe they were still in the clothes at home that is just disgusting. Poor Kiddies hope they're okay

 
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

Elizabeth Stone
MommyDoodlesDesign.com

Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Header Design, Button Design, Template Modification, Installation and Setup by MommyDoodlesDesign.com