Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ode to the great "O" the month of October....



I needed, no, wanted to pay a tribute to the great month of October. Since I did wait to the very last minute while trick-o-treaters are knocking on my door. I love the colors and smell that is distinctly and uniquely owned by this great month. So what if it means a true end of summer and the dropping temperatures, although, it was actually a very warm October. I opted to use the words of a few great poets. Mostly because next to their words, I couldn't do October any justice. The first is from Robert Frost and the second from Carl Sandburg (pertaining to one of the great symbols of this month). Even the great poets recognized the great “O”. Enjoy......

October

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
To-morrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
To-morrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow,
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know;
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away;
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost—
For the grapes' sake along the wall.

Robert Frost


Theme in Yellow

I spot the hills 
With yellow balls in autumn. 
I light the prairie cornfields 
Orange and tawny gold clusters 
And I am called pumpkins. 
On the last of October 
When dusk is fallen 
Children join hands 
And circle round me 
Singing ghost songs 
And love to the harvest moon; 
I am a jack-o'-lantern 
With terrible teeth 
And the children know 
I am fooling.

Carl Sandburg

1 Comment:

lalalaleesa said...

Seriously, you should have been my Dad's daughter. Quoting two great poets in one blog entry? Sheesh, all the inheritance would be yours. Where the hades did October go?!??! Oh yeah, I got called as the stake Primary president over General Conference weekend, there was a stake-wide 11-year old campout to pull off, couple of ward conferences, and a minor holiday to make happen for 4 kids who keep calling me Mom. I love your babble Vagi. Keep it going.

 
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

Elizabeth Stone
MommyDoodlesDesign.com

Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Header Design, Button Design, Template Modification, Installation and Setup by MommyDoodlesDesign.com