Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Flashlight Worthy?!






I love books. I love blue books, red books, green books... any book. And that's my tribute to my love of my favorite Dr. Seuss book. I love getting them for gifts (hint hint) and getting recommendations from friends and family.

I'm writing this segment as my unsolicited recommendation to whoever reads this.

Here's a few flashlight worthy books--because seriously who's reading under candlelight these days? But if you are, forgive me my trespass and keep reading.

First flashlight worthy book:



I absolutely loved this book. It was a recommendation out of a magazine article I read and I'm so glad that I opened it's pages. I laughed; I cried; I paused and thought about certain passages; I researched the History of Ethiopia; and I'm still looking for an Ethiopian restaurant to experience here, and yes, I do get pretty hungry reading a great book, don't you? The author is a wonderful storyteller. My flashlight died out, but then again, I didn't really use a flashlight to read this story. I was inconsiderate and left the light on ALL night. Good thing, my husband is very considerate by not complaining.

Numbah 2:



I was absolutely bug eyed by this memoir. My friend Kristy had recommended this amazing memoir to me. The beginning of the book opens up where the author is heading to a very ritzy party in a cab in the city of New York. Traffic--as only New York can have--slows the cab down and she see's a homeless person scouring out of a garbage bin. It's not just ANY homeless person, she recognizes that it's her very own mother. What happens next is surprising (atleast to me), she scoots as low as she can in the cab and hopes her mother hasn't seen her. And this is the 'beginning' of her memoir. Read it, it's worth every battery in your flashlight. Or wattage power of your lamp.

Numbah Three:




This is another recommendation from the same magazine article which recommended "Cutting for Stone." When I read the back of the book, I hesitated at first and then realized that I was ready to read this book. You see it was a tribute to her mother and the process she went through in losing her. The subject was still very sensitive for me as it resonated my grief of losing my own mother. I have to simply say, that her warm and witty personal storytelling was healing to my grieving process. I smiled, giggled and hugged the book when I was done. And then I cried. It was that good.

Maybe I shouldn't measure a book by a flashlight, maybe a good 'ole crying or laughter will suffice. Whatever the case, breakout your flashlights, or night lamp and a really great mosquito punk. Don't forget the tissue and and some good food.

Happy reading! What do you recommend?

2 Comments:

Kastle said...

Oooooh how interesting, I can't wait to get my hands on some of these books, I know I recommended "The Hunger Games" to you so that still stand I LOVE that series! Also I think you're HILARIOUS and beautiful yaya aunty

Vagivagi said...

Kastle, I loved 'Hunger Games'--I absolutely ignored/neglected my children and read it in a day and went back and bought th second in the series. I can't wait for August. most of the books I talked about I read earlier in the year.

 
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

Elizabeth Stone
MommyDoodlesDesign.com

Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Header Design, Button Design, Template Modification, Installation and Setup by MommyDoodlesDesign.com